Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Constructing the perfect egg

This was similar to our concept.
When my team and I started our planning process on constructing the protection of the egg, we were very frantic at the short amount of time and the limited amount of supplies that would be given to us. Of the five steps that are used in the planning process my group and I only followed three out of the five steps. The steps we followed were defining our goals and objectives, analyzing alternatives and making a tactical plan and implementing the plan and evaluate the results. We bypassed the steps of determining the current status compared to objectives and developing premises and several alternative strategies. We bypassed those two steps because we felt like we had to make a decision no matter if it worked or not so we would just go with what we think would work best. Therefore we were going to make the plan we had thought of before construction and make it work somehow. I think my group performed well under the circumstances we all worked together to try and get our initial plan to work. The only thing that was working against us was time. As a group we could have been more effective by further analyzing how we can make the construction of our contraption much more sturdy. Our analogy on how to construct the straws was on the right track. However, the execution was where we were in trouble. Before i was able to drop the egg i realized that the lopsided construction we came up with was against us. As soon as i dropped it, the egg landed on the side with more weight and had the most destruction done out of everyone else's. Overall, if we followed every step of planning it would have been helpful in determining the right steps to executing the idea we had in mind.

7 comments:

  1. It seems that we all had an issue with the time. If we had some more time to work on constructing the protector instead of planning, i think we would have been able to get it to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your group did a very good job. When I saw your egg protector I thought that you guys will defenitely get the points. It looked very different from all of us and very interesting. Well I guess we all learned the lesson about following the five steps of planning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that time really went against us on this one, especially during the building phase. As Bosko said, I think the whole class thought that your group had a good chance of getting those 10 points. Just a bit more refinement to the design would probably have sealed the deal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's unanimous that time was definitely not on our side and it was so easy to lose track of what little time we had because we were all so focused on getting the protector built the way we each had planned it to be. I actually totally thought your design was a surefire way for the egg to survive and for you guys to get the "victory-points" but it definitely goes to show that a little more time and a little more supplies would've done the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My group and I did almost the same procedure as your group. I agree with you, I think the limited amout of time didn't really let us follow through witht the planning process since we were so worried in just getting it done. I like the picture you posted of your model.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our group designed a contrapton similar to the one in the picture except our actual contraption didn't even look anything like it lol. When we finally got our supplies we didn't know who was going to do what so we just scrambled to get the contraption done. I also agree with everyone else about the time being so limited.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Time was definitely not on our side, but yay we were still able to come up with this contraption. It was great working with y'all! :)

    ReplyDelete